Monday, January 18, 2010

T-Rex & Tepees


We're suppose to get rain all week and I couldn't be happier. Rain energizes me. I do these crazy things, like cook and clean and stuff. I know! What's up with that. And the rain could not come at a better time. I have been rather down these past three weeks... emotionally and physically. I could use a pick-me-up. I came back from my Dad's funeral with a head cold that is just now getting better after 4 days on antibiotic. I am not sleeping but a few hours every night... so I'm pretty useless during the day. And my emotions are all over the place. I am easily burdened with the weight of the world. I ache for the people of Haiti. I ache for those with chronic pain and disease. And I ache for my kids. I know, I know, disappointments build character, but gosh darn, it's hard as a parent to watch your kids sad and discouraged when their dreams go unfulfilled. I just want it all better.

I am convinced that parenting adult children has been the hardest so far. Not that I'm actually parenting them... or at least I shouldn't be... but that's what's hard. Knowing when to enter in and when to let go. I am so proud of my kids and the choices they make. But when they are struggling and sad or disappointed... I want them to feel all better. So I pray a lot, to be wise, intuitive, discerning and sensitive. But quite often, I fall short of my intentions.

Anyway, I will leave you with one of my favorite pics from our drive home from WI. It's January 1st, we're cruising along at 75 mph, a mile from exiting off I-40 at Holbrook, AZ and we see this-


Quite frankly, I don't know what else to say. I mean, what in the heck is a T-Rex doing in a Native American tepee village?! Ha, you gotta love the Southwest.
Here's hoping it put a smile on your face this rainy... or snowy Monday morning.

*** The top picture was taken once we crossed the Mississippi River from LaCrosse, WI into Minnesota. Those HUGE frozen waterfalls are run-offs from the bluffs along the River.

5 comments:

NanAZ said...

Praying for you and yours...

Wishing I was home on this gray day with my laptop or a good book with a hot cup of tea. Of course, Terry's home for the MLK holiday, which makes it even tougher to be at work.

NanAZ said...

What is that in the first photo?

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh honey, I've been here and looked at all your Wisconsin pictures! I saw you trecking through the the snow to the cabin. I really love the bluff icicles!!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

I mean - - - I was here lots of times, even before you said to come - - - I guess I just didn't leave comments earlier or something!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Linda,
My brother Tom lived in Holbrooke for many years and we stayed with them once. I so remember the teepee village, but not the T-Rex. Holbrooke was a strange little town. I am so sorry your feeling down, I know just what you mean. Adult children are so hard too, my daughter doesn't have the best choices in boyfriends and it is so painful to stand back and keep my mouth shut. I may be coming out on the 16th of February, I will know in the next couple days. Hugs, Cindy