Friday, June 25, 2010

garden fresh tomatoes

Thanks to my dear friend Grace, I have these beauties adorning my kitchen counter. They are almost too pretty to eat, wouldn't you say? In fact, they taste like candy! Ok, so why pray tell, did I not appreciate homegrown tomatoes while growing up? Heck, homegrown ANYTHING for that matter!


Probably because my Mom had a humungous garden and we'd harvest tomatoes like there was no tomorrow. We'd be canning till the cows came home! No seriously, even after they came home for milking, we'd STILL be canning! And you can't imagine the humidity in that big, old farmhouse. Good Lord, we'd be sweating buckets while putting up dozens of canning jars plumb-full of tomatoes.
Oh, and then we'd show them at the Jackson County Fair with hopes of a blue ribbon to show for all our (blood) sweat & tears. Now those were the days. In fact I should do a post about my 4-H years... from 8 to 18 years old. Some of my best childhood memories for sure.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Yes, those really are so beautiful they are art! I hope you enjoy them anyway : )

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

The Jackson County Fair, oh Yah!
I just took my entry form in today Linda. I started entering some things again, and it's kind of fun!
I hope you do a post on the fair days, that would be fun!
And the tomatoes look so yummy!
And boy, do I remember all the canning my Mom would have me doing. Happy Weekend,
Cindy