Thursday, June 09, 2011

Day 4- Amish images


My Mom always gets her eggs at Henry & Sadie Miller's farm.
We're talkin' the biggest, most beautiful brown eggs ever.


So Monday morning we stopped by for eggs on the way to Pigeon Falls.
While my Mom was buying the eggs,
I got back in the car so I could take these precious images of Sadie's darling children.
I was thrilled they turned out, in spite of having to shoot through the windows.


I am well aware that the Amish do not like their pictures taken...
so I tried not to let them see me snap away...
and I chose to post only those images that didn't show their faces...
out of respect for their beliefs.


Well, you can imagine my shock and awe when three little boys 
came walking out of the barn, single file, carrying plucked chickens in each hand.
I could hardly believe what I was witnessing!
Hey, I'm a farmer's daughter and I've never seen freshly plucked chickens. Ever.


As my Mom and I pulled out of the driveway and left behind a simpler life,
we saw the children's hard-working Daddy working the land.
And I realized that the simple life I long for often comes at a high cost...
but maybe, just maybe there's a happy medium between the two extremes.
I am hereby in pursuit of such a balance.

1 comment:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love when I see the Amish. I think they have a good life. Different, but full of blessings.