Wednesday, July 11, 2012

San Diego ~ part 1


I had no idea that I would be spending the weekend in the quiet, wooded hills of northern San Diego County, near the town of Fallbrook ~ "The Avocado Capital of the World". I was thinking more on the lines of a beautiful home on a crowded street lined with other beautiful homes. What a wonderful surprise to pull up to this lovely home on a hillside overlooking the valley after driving non-stop for 5 1/2 hours. Yes, you heard that right. Three girls in a car and we didn't stop once!


I remember my friend Kathy telling me that her in-laws beautiful home burned to the ground in a raging wildfire 5 years ago, and this is the home they rebuilt on that same spot.


In fact, the state of CA recently planted 700 avocado trees to replace the ones that burned 5 years ago.


We had such a wonderful trip ~ walking trails, thrifting, talking and eating.


The first night Kathi, Kathy and I drove to Oceanside Harbor and got the best seats to a breathtaking sunset over dinner at the marina.


Truly THE best fish 'n chips & clam chowder EVER!



I must have taken dozens of photos on this upper landing before leaving the marina and this is the only one that turned out. Such a beautiful, peaceful spot.





Alfresco dining at its finest ~ with dear friends, good food and a slight chill in the air.
Next up ~ the ferry ride to Coronado Island.

No comments: