Wednesday, September 05, 2012

farm feed scoop


Imagine feeding 60 cows twice a day. We're talking rolling a huge feed cart and scooping out feed scoops of feed for each of the cows to eat while locked in their scansions. That's what my Dad and brothers did every single day ~ in addition to milking them twice a day ~ along with a myriad of other farm chores. And if you've read my blog long enough, then you know what I'm about to say ~ farming is the only profession that can rightfully say they work 24/7.

Anyway, I think those galvanized feed scoops are pretty cool looking. So you can imagine my complete surprise when my son and daughter-in-law gave me one for Mother's Day last May. I know ~ do they know me well or what!
I currently have a candle inside, sitting pretty on my woodstove mantle. The reflection at night is stunning. No way could I do it justice with a photo.
And if you're new to my blog, you will quickly find out I am all about repurposing. So you can imagine the endless possibilities I have planned for this iconic farming implement. How about sitting next to my stove filled with cooking utensils? Maybe napkin-wrapped eating utensils for a backyard party. Maybe filled with colorful cloth napkins. Or rolled up wash cloths in the guest bathroom. See what I mean ~ endless.
Now I want to hear your ideas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No way! I just bought one while in the midwest this summer traveling around. Like you, I'm a sucker for anything galvanized!

mommamindy.wordpress.com