Wednesday, January 30, 2013

estate sales

I rarely go to Estate Sales. The prices are just too ridiculous. But now that I've done a few myself, I totally understand why the companies that are hired to do those sales have to run up the prices. They have to pay all their employees so they can get the sale up and running as quick as possible.
Like I told you, my husband & I were hired to do an Estate Sale for friends of ours. We worked at the house for two months before the two day sale. The hardest work I've ever done, other than the Estate Sale I did years before. That one was hard because it was a hoarder's home. This one wasn't. In fact I loved every moment I spent in this home. So peaceful and calming. Although I didn't know them personally, I grew to love and respect them for the things they held so dear... you know, photos, memorabilia, books, Bibles...


... and Roy Rogers. Yes, their kids loved Roy Rogers.


I even found their Roy Rogers Riders Club rules card.
Signed by Roy & Trigger

And got all choked up reading the 10 Rider Rules.
Btw, the Roy Rogers Rodeo Ranch Set did not sell. I will be listing it on eBay for $150.00.

Well, I just finished up another Estate Sale yesterday. It was a quick one. I was hired to help a friend of a friend, who was needing to clear out the last remaining items in her parents home. The hard work had already been done, they just needed me to advertise the sale on EstateSales.net, research and price the items, work the actual Estate Sale and then list what didn't sell on Craig's List for an additional two weeks. The selling point for me ~ the house was in Tempe ~ a 5 minute drive! The other sale was 40 minutes one way on a good day.

As in the other sales, I became increasingly curious about the owners and so I asked my new friend what her Dad did for a living. She told me to google his name. So I went home and did just that. 
And wow, what an interesting man.
Please take a moment and read THIS article and then come back.
Can you believe it! I was blown away! Who knew...


His two sons drove this '56 Chevy that I photographed in the side yard. I was born in '56, so I've always been especially fond of '56 Chevys.


This was one of the items for sale ~ a Tudor Rose Fireplace Mantel that was removed from the Gourley Home, next door to Abraham Lincoln's home in Springfield, Illinois.
In researching the Gourley's connection to the Lincoln's, I found this little tidbit from 

 Another neighbor, James Gourley recalled that Mr. Lincoln "used to come to our house with slippers on - one suspender & an old pair of pants - come for milk - our room was low & he said Jim - you have to lift your loft a little higher, I can't stand in it well."

So, I'd like to think that I touched the mantel that Abraham Lincoln touched.
Btw, the mantel didn't sell.


The signature on this 18X24" painting is SA Thompson (and I'm a Thompson), and I also have fond memories of picking Pussy Willows while growing up on the farm in Wisconsin. So when it didn't sell, they gave it to me. And I will cherish it forever.

Written on the back ~
June 1940
Painted by Selma Thompson  

So, I'd like to think that I now own a piece of art that hung in the home of someone whose brain is on display at the Smithsonian Institute.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And just think....I read the blog of a woman who owns a painting that was owned by a man whose brain is on display at the Smithsonian Institute!

And just think...with heros like Roy Rogers, you have a better society. Think of the kind of people that are idolized today. Do you think that has any impact on our children? I need to introduce my kids to Roy Rogers.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What a neat post Linda!
I love the story and the items for sale, such neat stuff.
That pic will look amazing in your home!
Hugs from your friend in snowy Wisconsin.
Cindy

Mick said...

Wowee! A Roy Rodgers set and a 56' Chevy! Im in heaven!

Victoria said...

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.