Saturday, April 28, 2018

Frontotemporal dementia update


My husband Randy Thompson has
behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia
If you are new to my blog, you can read his story HERE.


  • I love seeing him sitting out on our patio. And yes, these days are numbered as the temps are rising here in Phoenix
  • he's always saying "I think you're going to make me chicken with tomato sauce"
  • I have never made such a dish ðŸ˜Š
  • he recently lost the 20# he gained 4 years ago after his FTD diagnose
  • hard to believe it was 4 years ago this month
  • but the symptoms go back to 2011
  • love the art pieces he brings home from his adult day care
  • started touring memory care facilities. So hard to imagine that one day...
  • he whispered "I love you" the other day. Out of the blue
  • he's unable to carry on a conversation, instead repeats everything I say
  • so as you can imagine, it was a big deal
  • he is totally oblivious to the guys that are remodeling our master bathroom
  • he loves taking our dog Koda for walks
  • he repeats over & over "That's Koda!" the entire time we're walking
  • Randy recently ate an entire bag of organic dog treats overnight, that I had emptied in a jar on the counter
  • they were not the usual 99 Cent store hard biscuit dog treats
  • so he thought they were people treats
  • I was pretty freaked out... but able to laugh about it now
  • such an unexpected, heartfelt reaction to meeting his new granddaughter Cora Jane
  • literally took my breath away as I captured the sacred moment 
  • my beautiful Cora Jane. Our 6th grandchild. Mimi & Pop Pop are so blessed.
  • love my letter board that I now call my memory board
  • scripture verses on the board that Randy loves reading every day
  • my latest memory verse ~ Romans 12:12
  • Randy just shaved his beard. Himself! (with my prompting) A miracle! Usually the neighbor has to hold his arms while I do it.
  • ok, it ain't pretty, but hey, I'll take it! 
  • attended my first dementia workshop this month. So helpful, informative... and emotional
  • Randy is still so sweet... never angry, sad, depressed or argumentative 
  • I think it's because our life is very quiet, routine and predictable. 
  • which makes him feel safe, secure and happy
  • my dear friend Alice captured this rare moment while visiting from PA
  • Love my husband so much... yet miss him terribly.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

SO thankful for your courage in sharing your journey, and your strong faith that gets you through every day. So wish I lived closer and could be more daily in our support of you....Who ever thought at those endless middle school and high school games, slumber parties, dances, and so much more, we would someday be sharing something like this. Life throws us enormous joy, and some incredible curve balls, and you are handling this with such grace and love. It can't be easy. I marvel at your patience, and your spirit, and hope your continue to feel our prayers. And, while you are caring for Randy, don't forget to take care of yourself. BIG hugs! Naomi

deb said...

Thank you for keeping us posted. And, PLEASE take of yourself as well.

Meta Campbell said...

I love you! So glad you wrote! Keep writing! ❤️❤️❤️ My amazing, strong, beautiful friend!

Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing this update, Linda. I love the photos that you've captured of your journey. Love and miss you friend.

Victoria said...

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

Aparent Link Affilate Marketing said...

On the free package, you can only sell five affiliate network charming films, or engaging social media content material.